Next deadline (for summer 2024): February 2024
The Fulbright U.K. Summer Institutes are 3–4-week programs for U.S. undergraduate students who have no or very little travel experience outside North America. Participants can explore the culture, heritage and history of the UK while experiencing higher education at a U.K. university. Several U.K. Summer Institutes are available every year. Each is hosted by a different university and focuses on a specific historical or cultural context, or a subject or topic. Applicants do not need to be familiar with these to apply and are encouraged to explore their interests.
Prospective applicants should make an individual advising appointment with Keila Diehl in the OURS National Scholarships Office.
- be a U.S. citizen and possess a U.S. passport
- have had no or very little study/travel experience outside of North America (no more than 4 weeks in past 5 years)
- have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- be at least 18 years old by the start of the program
- be able to participate in the program in its entirety
- have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
The Fulbright U.K. Program is looking for students who demonstrate:
- strong academic ability
- extracurricular activities and community involvement
- leadership potential
- intercultural sensitivity and ambassadorial skills
- genuine desire to learn more about the U.K. and to share aspects of American culture
- plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the U.S. upon returning
- Online application (opens November 30, 2022)
- Two letters of recommendation (via online portal)
For more information about this opportunity, visit the Fulbright-UK Summer Institutes website.