Next deadline: February 1, 2024, 9:00 am (PST)
The Fulbright U.K. Summer Institutes are fully funded 3–4-week programs for U.S. undergraduate students who have no or very little travel experience outside North America. Participants can explore the culture, heritage and history of the U.K. while experiencing higher education at a U.K. university. In 2024, seven different U.K. Summer Institutes are being offered at six different universities; each is focused on a specific historical or cultural context, subject, or topic. Details about each institute are available on the Fulbright UK Summer Institutes website. Applicants do not need to be familiar with the institute themes to apply and are encouraged to explore their interests.
Prospective applicants should make an individual advising appointment with Keila Diehl in the OURS National Scholarships Office.
- be a U.S. citizen and possess a U.S. passport (by the start of the program)
- have had no or very little study/travel experience outside of North America (no more than 4 weeks in past 5 years, with some exceptions for refugees and emergency/family visits to other countries)
- have a minimum GPA of 3.7
- be at least 18 years old by the start of the program
- be able to participate in the program in its entirety
- have at least two years of undergraduate study remaining after the Institute finishes
- not participate in any other study abroad programs during Summer 2024.
The Fulbright U.K. Program is looking for students who demonstrate:
- Strong academic ability
- Civic engagement/community involvement
- Leadership potential
- Intercultural sensitivity and ambassadorial skills
- Cultural curiosity: keenness to learn more about the U.K. and to share aspects of American culture
- Plans to further the Fulbright mission and give back to the U.S. upon returning
- Online application including personal statement and current affairs essay
- Two letters of recommendation, at least one academic (recent professor or teacher) (via online portal)
For more information about this opportunity, visit the Fulbright UK Summer Institutes website.